Skip to main content

me and my cello~

I remember it as clear as day, the day I took my diploma exam. It was just three of us is in the exam hall – me, my teacher as the pianist and the examiner. Make it four, if you want to count in the recorder. A lot of preparation went into the exam. Preparation was as early as nine months before the exam. A lot of thought went into selecting the best repertoire of songs that could best suit my playing style and songs that I could interpret well.



I can say with absolutely certainty that it is nothing like what you see on American Idol. Playing the cello is more than just singing your heart out to a million fans watching national tv. Playing the cello or any other musical instrument is about reaching out to your listener through the sounds it produces. With the ever popular electric guitar, most of the sound it produces is manipulated by the amplifier and all the other gadgets thrown in but with the cello or violin, your very fingers that press the strings and the amount of pressure you apply with the bow become the core and source of the sound it makes. In a nutshell, you are the player, the amplifier and the synthesizer.



When I finally selected and finalized my repertoire of songs for the exam, I knew I had to sit myself down and really think about how I wanted to represent the song to the examiner. The examiner is human like me, which means he will also be driven by a set of emotions. I knew it was going to be up to me to bring out a flare of emotions from within him if I was going to even stand a chance to pass the exam.



I started reading up on the composers. I wanted to step into their shoes to understand why they wrote the songs I was going to perform because behind every song written, there must be a specific inspirational motto or theme to it. I haven’t heard of anyone composing a song for the sake of composing one. Even if there were such a person, I am certain as day that the song will be of no value.



After understanding the songs from a more historical perspective, or at least I think I understood them, it was getting down to practicing the songs. Trust me when I say performing the song is the easier part of the process actually. Practicing the song to the point where you are comfortable to perform it is the grueling, painful, nerve-wrecking, finger-breaking process.

If you think I am kidding, here’s an overview of my practice menu. It was either a 5 day week practice or full 7 days:-

1. It’s about 2 to 3 hours per practice session;

2. Break a particular song into smaller sections;

3. Practice one particular section per song until I am familiar with the notes only. This involves a juggernaut amount of repetition of the same section.

4. Once I am happy that particular section, I move on to the next.

5. When I am finally done with knowing all the notes, then I finally move on to so called “adding” the emotions to the song.

6. When I am finally done with all the above, I try playing through my entire repertoire without stopping and start troubleshooting areas of concern in any particular song.



As much as the practice session sounds extensive, the professionals go deeper into it like 6 to 7 hours of non-stop practice and really go into more than just understanding the composer. It’s almost as if they want to be the composer. It’s amazing when you think about it!



Which reminds me, my practice sessions included a lot CD listening. Picking up CDs of different performing artistes to listen to how they interpret the songs. I really was trying to come as close as figuratively asking, “How do you express this song emotionally?”



Looking back at what I have achieved so far with my cello, if someone asked me if I am happy with where I am, I’d say no. There’s so much more I can do with the cello and there’s definitely more to learn about the cello and my cello. What I have learned so far, is probably just the tip of the iceberg or maybe even just the tip of the tip of the iceberg.



At the end of the day, be it learning a musical instrument or simply learning to do something. It’s more than just having the right set of tools but it’s more important to have the right mindset to approaching it. Above everything else, it’s about liking what you are doing. I doubt I would have gotten anywhere if it weren’t for the fact that I really do love the cello and the sound it makes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont