Skip to main content

James...

Two nights ago I was on my way home from work probably about 11-nish. I soon realised my car needs a fill up of petrol otherwise I would likely find myself pushing the car home (not something I would like to try, believe me).

There was this usual petrol station I drop by for petrol every time my car needs a gas up. Normally every time I am there to gas up, I usually see the usual familiar faces who work the night shift but that night it was different. There was a new guy on the job.

I noticed him when he walked over to my pump when I was swiping in my credit card into the pump. I was surprised when he walked up to me to ask if the machine works explaining to me some of the pumps in the station had a tendency of having glitches when it comes to accepting credit cards. I gladly expressed my appreciation for his concern in ensuring my credit card transaction went through and went on with filling up my car's petrol tank.

Then he said, "You want to know a tip on how you can save petrol and get more mileage out of your car?"

I can't say I was interested but I figured it was worth listening to him. I was in no hurry and a 15 minute conversation with a petrol station attendant couldn't possibly kill me.

So I replied, "Sure, I'd like to know how I can get more out of my petrol."

Then he goes on explaining to me the details of which I am not going to bore you with. Basically, at the end of the conversation, he quickly walks into the petrol station shop and shows me a bottle of petrol additive and basically tries to sell me that bottle of additive.

I had a sneaky feeling he was going to try to sell me something at the end of it. Nothing taken against him. He was doing his job. I really didn't think I needed it since my car is already in tip top condition so I politely turned him down. I thanked him for taking the time to explain to me on the fuel saving tip and asked his name. He was James.

I filled up and went on to pump the air of my car tyres. As I finished pumping the tyres I called out to James, "Hey James, how much is one of those bottles?"

"28 dollars"
"I'll take one mate!"

He quickly runs in and takes a bottle for me and I pay James.

Then I said, "I like you James. I'd be honest with you I can get the exact same bottle for a couple more dollar cheaper from my usual spare part supplier but I'll take it from you since you took the time and effort."

I spotted the smile on his face as he thanked me.

Listening to a guy explain to me how I could save petrol cost me 15 minutes of my time. Buying the bottle of petrol additive cost me 28 bucks. Putting a smile on someone's face..... priceless.

Comments

  1. Haro haro :)

    Usually if someone comes up to me like that out of a blue, I tend to freak out a little (sometimes a lot)...I'm such a scaredy cat!

    Good for you! and good for him! :D

    p.s. hope all's good?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont