Skip to main content

What Mr. Brown cherished most........

Robby had only one dream, one vision when he grew up as a boy. He wanted to be a high flying successful businessman. He never thought about anything else since he went to school right up to getting his MBA. He did not want anything to get in the way of his concentration - no relationships, no entertainment, cut back on movies, no time even for casual reading. Robby's daily schedule for seven days a week was to get up 6am in the morning do pre-read up on whatever lectures that was going to come up for the day. After lectures, he goes straight home freshen up and do post-read up on his lectures.

Achieved his dream he did! Robby is now a well known person in the business of trading of seafood. Robby actually shifted away from home to a different state to keep his focus. To Robby, nothing mattered more than the future. Managing his business was always a top priority and he hardly spent time with his wife and daughter.

While in his office on a Monday morning, Robby's hand phone rings. He takes a look, the number displayed belongs to his house. "Must be mom. Wonder what's up.", mumbles Robby and answers the call, "Hi mom! What's up?" His mom replies, "Hi there Robby. How's it going there? Busy is ever my dear son?" Robby goes, "Yea mom, business is pretty good and I am doing fine myself."

Robby's mom go on, "Anyway Robby, do you remember Mr. Brown from next door?". "Yup, I sure remembered him. I used to drop by his house every evening after dinner just to hang around and play around the wooden puppets he made for a living. What about him?". "Well, Mr. Brown passed away last night from a sudden heart attack.".

Robby went quiet.......... "Robby? Robby? You still on the line?", his mom said. Robby just went blanked and realised he hadn't said anything for a while, "Sorry mom, just felt so surprised. He was a nice guy. It's been a while since I last spoke to him."

"Mr. Brown never forgot you. Every time he saw me, he'd definitely ask how you are doing. He always talked about how you spent hours with him just chatting in his small house." Robby's mom told Robby.

"Yea.... I sure remember those times. He pretty much was a dad to me ever since dad and you divorced when I was 5 years old. When's the funeral?" Robby said.

"Funeral's the funeral at the usual church Mr. Brown goes to." Robby's mom replied. "I'll be there as soon as I rearrange my schedule for tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know mom. See you there." Robby said. As soon as Robby hung up, he reworked his schedule and was on the next flight back home for Mr. Brown's funeral.

The following day, after the funeral, Robby and his mom went to look at the small house Mr. Brown lived in for the last time. Robby just sighed, "I am going to miss him. He was always around to encourage me to do what I wanted to do and really strife to do well in my studies. I remembered each time I walked up these very steps into his house, he'd have tea waiting for me on the table knowing I would like a relaxing tea drink after studying."

As Robby took a last around the house, he suddenly remember something and went looking for something. Robby's mom was puzzled and asked, "Robby, what are you looking for?". Robby, panting while searching said, "Mr. Brown had a very special wooden puppet in a very nicely carved wooden box he made himself. He always said that it was like a daughter he never had. I remembered he placed it just beside the tv shelf. It was always dust free and clean. He'd never let me touch it, not even with my baby finger! Where had it gone to?"

Robby's mom said, "It's been a long time since you were here, he might have sold it." Robby let out a sigh of disappointment, "You might be right mom. Thought I might take with me for keepsake."

The very next day, Robby was back at work as usual. He got back home late in the evening about close to 10 o'clock at night. His wife greeted him as usual, "Hi hon, dinner's ready on the table warm the way you like it. By the way, a package came in this morning for you. I placed it on the dining table." "Thanks a lot sweet heart", as Robby approached dinner he picked up the package which read, "To my best young pal, Robby. From the guy next door, Mr. Brown."

Robby unwrapped the package, and found the beautifully carved wooden box that carried a beautiful puppet Robby was looking for back at Mr. Brown's home. In the hands of the puppet held a letter. Robby, opened the letter and read it. As he read, tears were trickling down his cheeks.

The letter read:
"Robby boy, if you are reading this letter that would mean you got my most precious puppet and probably the best puppet I ever carved in my entire career as a puppeteer. Most importantly, it would mean I have passed on. I sure hope I didn't look like a dried prune lying in my casket! Anyway Robby boy, pick up the puppet and be careful with it and take a peek on the back side of the puppet."

When Robby turned the puppet around, Robby saw what was carved and started crying. At the back of the puppet Mr. Brown carved out very finely and accurately which said, "Thanks for your time, Robby boy!".

Robby just sat at the dining table while his wife held him close to her bosom as he wept.

"What Mr. Brown cherished and appreciated most was my time with him," said Robby as he cried.

As Robby held on to the puppet, the following day he called his office and cancelled all appointments. His assistant, Rosanne was startled and asked, "What's happening in these two days?"

"Nothing much," Robby replied. "Just want to spend more time with my wife and my daughter. That's all. Oh yea, and Rosanne...... thanks for your time!"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont