Skip to main content

A little help goes a long way....

Back during my primary school days, I didn't get much for pocket money for a day. I think it was a dollar day. But, of course money back then had a higher purchasing power. A dollar a day even during those times were some times hard to get buy and I had to settle for lesser food items because other more luxurious food like canteen chicken rice would cost a dollar fifty. Some days, I'd not spend the money so I can snowball the money for the next day to get a bigger meal during recess.

There was one day, while waiting for my mom to pick me up from school I saw this guy sitting by the roadside. He didn't look like he had any bad intentions, neither did he look like he was really mangy. Although I never really noticed but many of my schoolmates see him around often and he'd be sitting at the same spot by the roadside everytime he's around my school.

On that day when I saw him by himself, sitting by the roadside, I decided to just approach him and ask him why he'd sit there. After all, my mom was going to be late considering she hadn't got there after close to half an hour. So I approached him, "hi uncle, do you come here often?". He replied with a rather sad tone, "no place to go, no one wants me, just another old man by the road my young one.". Innocent as a young boy, I asked, "why is that so uncle?". He gave a long sigh and said, "well, I used to live with a daughter of mine about few years ago until........ until she and my son-in-law thought I was a bother to them.". 

At that young age, I had no idea what he meant and so, I asked, "but don't children like to have their daddy around? I love to have my daddy around!". He looked at me, "well kid, you have the right attitude, remember that always. It's been 8 years and 11 days ever since the day they got rid of me. I am 68 years old this year and I live down by the road there, a young lad rented a room to me and I have been delivering newspapers for 8 years now.".

For some unknown reason, I found myself rummaging through my pockets and I took the dollar I got for that day's expenses and I took out a dollar I saved from yesterday, with a wide grin, "here you go uncle! Take it!". He looked at me, "thank you my young friend, but I can't possibly take your money. You need to eat so you can grow up to be big and strong.". I replied, "nah.... it's okay uncle, just take it. I didn't eat today so you can have it. Go on, take it!". He looked at me for a long time, eyes going red probably close to tears, he said with a very grateful tone, "thank you, thank you. I wish I had a child like you.". 

My mom eventually reached school, and I got in the car gave the old man a wave and went on my merry way back home. The following day when I went to school, the school security guard spoked to me, "hey, I saw you talking to the old man from down the road. That poor chap. I usually have lunch in the same place as he does down the road not far from here. Everyday I see him just eating plain rice and some vege. Yesterday, I saw you giving him some money. Yesterday, for once in years I actually saw him eating more than just plain rice and vege. I am not sure how much you gave him but it is rare to see him eating with a small smile on his face.".

After hearing the words of the security guard, I went to school that morning with my heart bursting with a big heart of happiness inside. I knew I did some good! Ever since the day I spoke to the old man, everytime I saw him sitting at the same spot I'd sit beside him and talk to him. That went on until I left primary school for secondary school. Surprisingly, I never got his name and I never knew why I never asked. 

Looking back, I realise help can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes from all sorts of people. Even the tiniest bit of help can go a long way.................. 

Comments

  1. Hey.. that was such a great thing u did!! if only the uncle's kids hv the heart of yours.. =)

    "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont