Skip to main content

Touching story......

Couple of days back I saw a couple taking a walk with their child at a park nearby house while I was taking a walk by myself trying to get some fresh air and just let my mind wander about the peaceful moment in a park. I noticed something about the child - he found it difficult to communicate to his parents. I saw the family take a sit on one of the benches nearby and as I passed them I decided to just start a conversation with them.

As I spoke to them, they talked about how much their little kid John loves walking in the park. I tried making some monkey faces and he seem scared, and close to tears. I realised I might have frightened him and was quick to apologise to the parents. As I apologised, little John's parents explained to me that he was autistic and had trouble mixing with strangers.

At 5 years of age, John could speak but lacking fluency but I could see this young lad trying to communicate with his parents. I was touched by how much love his parents were giving him, with complete understanding of how much he is trying.

Out of curiousity and to understand better how it is like being a parent caring for a child John. I was glad that they were more than willing to share their experiences with me. For them, they had made additional efforts during pregnancy that both parents went for parenting classes, which helped them identify signs of autism or down syndrome. So, when they had little John they were quick to identify little John's condition. It was sad news for them but nevertheless they both promised themselves to give their best care to little John.

I was astonished when they told me they had invested close to RM2,000 on books on autism and how to approach child care for autistic kids. Deep down in me, I could tell how much they were putting in to make sure little John had proper care.

I asked them how difficult was it to care for John - for them, it is not easy because John found it difficult to be alone when he was younger. His mom made the sacrifice to be a full time house wife and patiently conditioned John to not be afraid of being alone. They told me so much more about their experience and it will probably take forever to talk about it here..........

After a long conversation with them, I left for home and thanked them so much for sharing their experience. I learnt something valuable - parents' love for their kids is something unmeasurable and uncomparable. I was very touched, and I took a minute to thank God for allowing me to meet such wonderful people. I got home and I stumbled upon an inspirational story, which I am about to share with you below...... enjoy.....
_____________________________________________
What They Forgot to Mention By Sandy Sotzen
Although I was expecting hardship, I found surprising joy in my autistic son.

I remember the day of my son’s diagnosis of autism as if it were yesterday. The tone of the doctor’s voice, the silence in the room, the words “lifelong disability, no cure, I’m sorry” still sting when I allow myself to reflect on that day. But I have paused on occasions too numerous to count and thought, Someone should've mentioned that this would be part of the package when my child was diagnosed with autism. Someone forgot to mention that I would listen to my child's simple utterances or attempted approximations as if he was a world leader giving the speech of a lifetime. I could never have imagined the worth of a single word despite the fact that I may never hear it again.

Someone forgot to mention that when my son was finally potty-trained at age nine, there would be few people who could understand the significance of such an accomplishment, and even fewer with whom I could actually share it. Accomplishments of any size, their true worth known only to me, would bring quiet celebrations between my son and me.

Someone should've mentioned that autism is messy! Wallpaper's meant to be shredded, bathrooms are designed to be flooded, walls are bare in order to smear stuff on them, washable paint really isn’t, and more food will actually be crushed and dropped than eaten.

I wish someone would've mentioned that autism is extremely expensive! Doctors, therapists, medications, supplements, conferences, and sensory equipment are only the tip of the iceberg. I could not have guessed that my child's disability would allow people to cross our path in life who otherwise would not have, and that such people would willingly respond to a child in need.

Someone should have mentioned that each time a child with autism initiates or engages in a reciprocal hug, that feeling that you had when you held him for the first time comes back time and time again.

And they forgot to mention the day my son was diagnosed with autism that the triumphs over this disability would far outweigh the tears, that laughter would eventually ease the sense of loss, and that sheer faith would allow me and millions of other parents to fall into bed exhausted each night, only to get up the next day eager to discover what else they forgot to mention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont