Skip to main content

what dinner over traffic jam taught me~

I had to work fairly late last night and ended up leaving office late and in a dire need for food to get into my stomach. As I was driving back about 9.30 at night and of all things to happen, I had to get stuck in a traffic jam.

It was bad enough I had a tough day at work, being stuck in a traffic jam with a hungry, growling stomach really does not make matters any better. Without giving it much thought I took a quick turn into Jaya One, a commercial zone with heaps of eateries. 

Quickly searching for a decent parking lot, I went to look at the eatery directory and I found myself in a state of bounded rationality. Choices, choices, choices, choices...... just too much choices of eateries! Just check out the list below.
Al-EsfanBanana LeafBlk D, Unit 23-GPalm Square03-22834336
Al-EsfanIndian (Mamak)Blk D, Unit 63-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-22834336
03-79579786
BBQ ChickenFast FoodBlk M, Unit 12-GPalm Square03-79548722
BrisikIndonesianBlk M, Unit 10-1Palm Square03-79586681
Brussels Beer CaféBelgian Beer HouseBlk L, Unit 20-GPalm Square 
Coffee BeanCoffeeBlk K, Unit 2A-GPJLA 
CubesLondon ChineseBlk L, Unit 18-1Palm Square03-79586616
DivinoWine BistroBlk M, Unit 6-1Palm Square03-22878368
Duck KingChineseBlk M, Unit 8-GPalm Square03-79579819
Fireman BBQSteamboat & GrillBlk C, Unit 43-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-77277432
03-78800707
FronteraMexican & BarBlk L, Unit 18-G-1Palm Square03-79588515
Gemini CreationGifts & FlowersBlk B, Unit 21-MHealth Wellness03-79576003
Halo CaféCafé & Live MusicBlk L, Unit 16-GPalm Square03-89413229
Hanazen Japanese RestaurantJapaneseBlk C, Unit 43-GPalm Square 
HeadquartrsFun PubBlk C, Unit 37-LG2Wai Sek Kai 
Jaya Noodle HouseChineseBlk C, Unit 35-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-79542639
KillineyKopitiamBlk D, Unit 55-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-79585545
KinnareeThaiBlk M, Unit 12-1Palm Square03-79573910
Kissaten Blk L, Unit 12A-1Palm Square03-79541990
Kluang StationKopitiamBlk D, Unit 11-GPalm Square03-79579039
Lucky Nine BistroPool & PubBlk D, Unit 3-1Palm Square 
Nando'sFast FoodBlk C, Unit 33-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-79606555
Old Town White CoffeeKopitiamBlk C, Unit 31-LG1Wai Sek Kai03-79555321
Restaurant OverseaChineseBlk J, Unit 35-LG-1Life Learning03-79569911
SantiniItalian & BarBlk D, Unit 3-GPalm Square03-79578866
Secret RecipeCakes & CaféBlk M, Unit 10-GPalm Square03-79606859
Simply FusionLocal & WesternBlk D, Unit 13-GPalm Square03-79582291
StarbucksCoffeeBlk M, Unit 6-GPalm Square03-79607224
Sun WongHong Kong CaféBlk D, Unit 47/49/51-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-79562911
Tappers CaféMalaysianBlk D, Unit 5-GPalm Square03-79583198
Tasty TreatsMalaysianBlk D, Unit 59-LG2Wai Sek Kai03-79581770

After staring at the list for a long time, I gave up and just walked into the restaurant right next to the directory. I just couldn't be stuffed thinking about where to eat when my stomach was already screaming out for food. I walked into a fast food chain called Wendy's.

Took my queue, ordered my food and took a nice cushy seat. I was in no particular hurry so I took my time to enjoy my nice 3 layered beef burger. It was at that time I realised I could see a lot of activities going on around me. I found myself really taking the time to enjoy my burger and at the same time just to really observe what was going on around me. 

I was surprise to note that I really observed a lot that was going on around me. I saw a few parents trying to stop their kids from running around the restaurant, I saw a few love birds enjoying their meal together with some couples feeding each other fries, I caught a glimpse of the kitchen and how the cooks handled food with gloves, I saw two guys in a deep discussion probably over a business proposition, I also saw one guy having his hand on his partner's bum as they were walking out the open air sitting area (Hawh! Thought you were discreet right? Guess not buddy!).

Anyway, my point isn't about what I saw while at the restaurant having dinner and waiting for the traffic jam to clear. My point is about taking a break, slow the pace of your lifestyle for a while and just enjoy what the world offers. The world has heaps to offer - from a nice juicy 3 layered burger to a breath of fresh air up on a hill in say, New Zealand. 

So go on out there and see what the world has to offer and slow the pace down. Our bodies like an engine will give way if we go at doing things at high gear continuously.


Creative Commons License
~Path of Time~ by Micky Foo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

Comments

  1. *drool at the list of foods*
    when r u bringing me there?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont