Skip to main content

Go on and take the first step!

When you take a step back and think about it, I am sure you will realise the first step in everything always seems to be most difficult. For many of us, approaching the opposite sex you have a crush on is likely to be THE toughest moment in your life (makes you feel seeing your boss isn't so bad right?).

I too find it difficult to take the first step at times. I found myself in a predicament when I was trying to decide on my career path. Just two days ago, I tendered my resignation to the HR department of my firm of chartered accountants. Upon tendering my resignation, I felt a sense of excitement. Excitement pointing me at the direction where a new experience awaits me.

At this juncture, I am going to hop on a train to a different career path. A brand new journey of which the destination is unknown to me right now.

Now that I look back at the path leading to my decision, I've come to realised it took me close to a year to make the decision to switch - that first step. Too many things were running through my head, my brain trying to work out all the possible outcomes that may arise from my decision to change my career. Truth be told, it was not something easy for me. It was very well an internal struggle trying to balance making a decision with my brain and with my heart. Having the thought process skewed either way would after all, produce an undesirable outcome.

Deciding using my brain would have led to too much thinking and no action taken. Deciding with my heart would have led to a hasty decision.

After all the struggling within me, I finally spoke to people I found tremendous respect for - my parents, superior(s) in my firm, and close friends outside my firm.

I met an array of reactions - some surprised, some indifferent and some thinking I had lost my mind. But all in all, my chats with them gave me a holistic view I desperately needed. Independent views from people who know me from different angles.

My parents were supportive of my decision albeit my mother was at first unagreeable with my idea of leaving the firm. My dad on the other hand supports me and has been a key figure in my decision making process. But most importantly, both of them had one similar point to note, "if I am going to have to see my son come back every night looking and feeling horrible, I'd rather he get a job he likes doing and at least I get to see him being happy." That statement in itself means a lot to me. It shows how much they care for me and I guess having to see your own child in a sad state like that isn't exactly what I would call a gratifying sight. Most importantly, they said the ultimate decision lies with me and no matter what decision I make, never regret it later on.

I also spoke to a superior in my firm. Well, actually more than just a superior - someone experienced and knowledgeable enough to be a head of department of a firm of chartered accountants - go figure. In terms of respect for people in my firm, if there is one person I'd respect the most in my firm (soon to be ex-firm), it will be her. For someone at her level to bring herself down to my humble level is to me, an exceptional feat. Communicating with her has been all about open communication. To a certain extent, talking to her has been almost like having a mother in my office - someone I could turn to to seek advice above and beyond work matters. In a nutshell, she gave me much encouragement to choose something I had passion for and not just do something that only has monetary measures. Personally, I feel that the opportunity to work with her would be something I would miss dearly. Throughout the time of slight over 2 years with the firm, the best working experience came from working with her.

Another superior mentioned one thing that meant more than many other sentences. She said, "impossible means I-M-POSSIBLE". For those who are still scratching your heads - it is read as I AM POSSIBLE. Opportunities are everywhere, and I just need to go get it.

All the people I spoke to shared one similarity - they were people who showed me the door and opened the door to a new beginning for me. At the end of the day, I have to walk through the door by taking the first step into that door. I finally made that step and it shall forever be a first step for me to remember for the rest of my life........

So, remember - for you to make something happen, you will have to take the first step. So go on and take the first step!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont