Skip to main content

either way it doesn't matter

Long time ago, when my grandfather was still alive, I would always followed him out in the wee hours of the morning for breakfast in one of his usual breakfast joints. It was rejuvenating and interesting to have breakfast about 5.30 in the morning. Really enjoying breakfast in a typical small town way and not the everyday quick bite to rush off to school type of breakfast. It was one of those times when I could share some time with my grandfather and likewise for him.

We lived in different states of the country so, we tried to make it a point to have these breakfast every time my family visited. It was the good old days!

There was one instance when he fill up my tea cup half way to the top and suddenly he asked me, "would you consider this cup half full with tea or half empty with tea?". Quite frankly, I was puzzled. What would have expected a 12 year old to react to such a questions? It was random but at the same time my 12 year old brain told me that there was more to that questions.

I thought so hard that I was starting to frown and my forehead wrinkled. The sight of me frowning and thinking so hard made him chuckle.

"It's not that tough a question. A simple questions deserves a simple answer. There's no need to think so hard."

I gave up trying to figure out what was underneath the underneath and decided that the tea cup was half empty.

Then he went, "hmmmmmmm......."

I couldn't take the anxiety anymore and decided to ask him what the questions was all about.

"It's nothing to complicated my dear boy. Whether you think the glass is half full or half empty, decides on whether you are a positive thinker or a pessimist. Or at least that's the popular believe. So I guess, when you said you thought the glass was half empty, you are likely to be a pessimist."

I frowned........ and he chuckled again.

"Take it easy my dear boy. I am not making a joke out of you. I was just asking the question for fun. It doesn't matter to me had your response been the glass being half full. In fact, does it even matter?

"Since you asked me, I think it would matter."

"Hahaha..... it doesn't matter to me at all. Not one bit. You see, whether you felt the glass was half full or half empty didn't matter to me because either way you are going to be grandson always. Being a pessimist or activist didn't mean you were going be worse off or better off. It simply meant that's who you are. Either way, I will still enjoy my cup of tea and early morning breakfast whenever you are down here visiting me with your family.

What's important isn't about what sort of person you are but rather how best you make use of the time given to you by the almighty God in the heavens. It doesn't matter as long as you are willing to put your brain and your pair of hands to use, you'll never lose out.

My point is that you should never let yourself lose out simply because of what the world perceives you to be. No matter what gets thrown at you, as long as you put in honest effort into it, it'll never matter if you are 'half full glass person' or 'half empty glass person'. Remember that kid!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All it takes is a little encouragement

"A Life at Work" by Thomas Moore is currently the book I am reading. I have reached about half way so far and it has really given me a lot of in sight about my destiny or at least pointers to get me on my way to figure out what my life work is (i.e. your ideal work, work that fulfills you from the inside, food-for-the-soul kind of work). It's still a work in progress thing for me; a long way from reaching the full discovery point (if I ever reach it). Your life work can be as simple as helping old folks in need in a nursing home to something as simple as being a life guard. Simplest of work can be the most rewarding to a person's hear that's deep down. Of course, there's no denying that it is different for everyone. But sometimes, if not all the time, all it takes is a little encouragement from the people around you. Sometimes it is as simple as, "a job well done chump!" or "way to go bud!" or "you hit the home run mate!" or even

one foot in the past, another in the future........ what about the present?

All of us go through a cycle, what we commonly call - the past, present and the future. It can probably be summed up by this simple phrase: " we come from the past to be in the present and look forward to the future ". Now, what I want you to do is take a step back, or just give your mind a minute or two to digest the above mentioned phrase. Ask yourself if it applies to you. Really ask yourself; and I mean REALLY ask yourself in the most honest of manner, whether it really applies to you. You may find it difficult to arrive at a 'yes' and even if you do, you probably find yourself in a paralysis state of mind trying to justify the 'yes'. If you really ponder about it, you are likely to find that most of us would find this phrase more relevant instead: " we come from the past and look forward to the future " You will find many of us either hang on to the past or look far too forward into the future, or likely for some to even be dwelling too much in

Quick update.........

Having graduated last year in August and taking a break in Australia visiting my brother for a month, I really felt good about everything. Things just got better after that, having landed a job at Ernst & Young! :) Aaaaaahhhhh.... how fast time actually goes by! Passing the 10th of January 2007, I have already been working for 3 months. The feeling of getting older and learning new things everyday at work brings about a feeling of satisfication. Although, work is generally tough and tedious (what do you expect in the auditing line?). I must admit though, when I fast started off I did feel demotivated and some what unhappy with the job having to go back home at 3am and back to work by 8am the next day. I did think about quitting at that time........ :( However, a miracle happened to me! That miracle brought along a girl named Vern Cheng. Without her support, I would have struggled a lot more. After work, just seeing her brings about a feeling of happiness and a feeling of being cont